Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Run, Rally, Rock (length advisory)

Today was the annual Run, Rally, Rock Festival. This day is a celebration of Edgewood. Yeah, I know...Woohoo, Edgewood! Every year they have a 5K run. On Sunday. A few of us are going to try to get them to move it to Saturday. Wish us luck!

They had a parade this year for the first time. I just found out about it yesterday, but the kids wanted to go. Of course we went, come on its Edgewood! I had the bright idea of having the kids ride their bikes there and I would run pushing Kenny in the stroller. The kids loved going for a long ride and I walked when I needed to. Two and a half miles later we were on 344 waiting for the parade to begin.

I didn't have much hope of being impressed by a parade put on by Edgewood. To my surprise, I loved the parade! Here are the highlights:

These are our scouts riding in "Dumpy".

Who rides steer? I guess he does...

'40s Chevy ...(oh goodness, I don't remember what he told me. I made him stop the parade just so that I could get the details and relay them back to Joey. Alas, I have failed!)

Some kinda cool looking tractor. I was very impressed.


Nice truck
The was a huge dump truck. I've seen them before, but I never get over my awe of them.

Camaro, just can't pass one up.



This picture speaks for itself.



After the parade I decided to take the kids to Wildlife West where the real party was goin' on. I wasn't planning on staying long because it only takes an hour or so to see the animals.



The kids found a rock wall though. All of them wanted to go up. There was a height restriction though.
Daniel and Taylor in their duds.


Again. They're just so darn cute.



Taylor shot up the wall with very little effort. He never ceases to amaze me. I watch lots of older kids try to make it to the top and he was the only one the whole time we were there that made it. We ended up being there quite a while.
Turns out that going up is easier than coming down. All he had to do was jump off and the rope would catch him. He just didn't want to do it.

30 minutes and two rescue teams later, a man on the ground offered to go up and let Taylor piggie back down. Great idea right?

Not really. The rope is made to let you down according to weight. Taylor was so much lighter that the rope was trying to break his fall. At the same time the other guys rope was trying to let him fall according to his heavier weight. Taylor ended up being pried away and was hanging all the weight of his body on his tummy instead of his bum. It hurt for a while but he was glad to be down. Everyone else was glad he was down too.

I told him how proud I was that not only did he try the wall, he succeeded in making it to the top. His rescuer told me that even he had a hard time jumping at the top, and he rationally knew that the rope would keep him safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment