Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Book Club

Last night our book club met. I chose the last book we read so even though it was SNOWING and all I wanted to do was soak in the bath, I went. I chose the infamous Gone With the Wind which Joey calls, "That book about the stupid girl." He is quite right. My book was universally hated. (sob) Most people struggled to finish it. I find it funny actually. I'm so glad that I'm not easily offended. I just loved having the difference of opinion. Good friendly debate is healthy. I guess most people have chosen books that have a significant meaning to them personally. I picked mine because there is so much to discuss. No one understood why I picked a book that I didn't like the characters. I don't think you have to like the characters to enjoy the book. I actually could identify with them in a strange way. It was intriguing to me. Very rarely do you hear the South's side of the War, I found that interesting even though I don't sympathize with the South at all.

After discussing the book we educated one of the members about the coolness which is Napoleon Dynamite. I can't believe there are still people who haven't seen it!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you! I've read that book 4 or 5 times now, and it makes me sad to read it because the characters, Scarlett in particular, are so reprehensible! Do you find yourself wanting to like Scarlett despite how awful she is? She finally starts turning human when the book ends. It's very different from the movie, but I like both.

    ReplyDelete